Wednesday, October 3, 2012

You Did What???

We acquired a dog. That's right, through some (unfortunate) events my brother is moving and can't take his pup with him, so I "volentold" him I'd take him. After much begging and convincing both our land lady and ourselves, we now have grown our family by four paws.
I'm pretty sure he was named with the anticipation of his getting really big being part lab and all, but after some further examination and my own "experty" judgement (ha!) I'm pretty sure he's also part beagle and won't be getting much larger than he already is.
He has enough personality in that  puppy body to fill out his name. He is rambunctious and  sweet all at the same time. He is AMAZING with kids (thanks to good training by my bro!) and despite Titus' efforts, will NOT eat that peanut butter sandwich, no matter how many times Ti tries sticking his hand into his mouth with a fist full of sandwich, or corn dog, he will not take a bite...although today he did have the corn dog stick with a bit of dog left on it and looked at me like "Honest! I had no choice! I would have choked had he stuck it any further down my throat! please don't hate me!"
He is a great dog so far. Titus and Max wallow on him and with him and he's so gentle in his playing with them. He is patient and willing to give up whatever toy he has to whichever little hands are grabbing his way, especially if it means that said toy will be tossed to be chased. He is still puppy though, so there is a lot of jumping, gnawing, chewing and barking. Mostly at the grownups. He has a little ways to go yet on manners, but over all, a great dog!
So what were we thinking? Adding an 8 month old puppy to the litter of children I already have running around? Maybe I was bored and needed a little extra work to do around the house? Maybe I was thinking I was getting baby fever and needed a fix quick before we made any rash decisions! Or maybe I saw  an opportunity to help my brother out in a situation that demanded help but I didn't know what else to do but take his dog and run!  Honestly I don't know what possessed me to take on this challenge, but so far (one whole week into it) I am glad I did. Is it fun cleaning up the poop and pee because we haven't quite figured out when he's saying "lets play" or "I need to go out NOW"...no, but we're getting there and  I think it will be worth it. The kids love him. Abby is still a little timid with him, but the boys have bonded and are on their way to having a great relationship with their first dog.
I really hope this works out well. Challenging? yes. Crazy? maybe. Worth it? I think so. at any rate...meet Tank:


No comments:

Post a Comment